To Mother Nature

This poem is for the
one who makes wind, rain,
the mud I squish in 
between toes on summer 
days spent with
mountain men on a 
trail going north through 
your fine forests.

I sing of you, the one 
who has the sun on 
my head, hemlocks overhead,
the great blue heron in my view
on a path so many take but
never finish.

I hike this hike 
just for you, 
so to see all of you, 
the one who paints the 
earth, who paints
the sky.

I think of you, only
of you as I 
taste your honeysuckles, 
berries, purple 
violets you give
when light, rain, 
air touched dirt----
And I wrote a poem.

-"To Mother Nature" won second place in the Clay County Historical and Arts Council (Adult) Poetry Contest in 2014. 

http://nancysimpson.blogspot.com/2014/05/clay-county-poetry-contest-its-tie-for.html